Saturday, April 20, 2013

Ryerson Index and RootsWeb

Source: www.ryersonindex.org
The Ryerson Index lists death notices and obituaries in Australian Newspapers dating back to the 1800s. Searching the index is very easy.  The indexes are primarily from NSW newspapers but representation from other states is growing as more volunteers participate.  If your local paper is not included, think about volunteering to increase the records available for researchers.


Source: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com
RootsWeb is a free website that enables you to share your family tree, peruse submitted trees and connect to other people, who have similar research interests.

Users can submit information to the "User Contributed Database" to assist other researchers, such as the Dictionary of Genealogy & Archaic terms featured in a prior post.  

I have submitted the surname and details of my "brickwalls" to the relevant mailing lists and message boards hoping that I can connect to others who are researching the same people.  If your surname is not listed, you can create a mailing list.

Also check the Surname lists to connect with others who are researching the same families.

You can also build your own genealogy website with free webspace provided by RootsWeb.

Additionally, there are many volunteering opportunities available.

Click for more "R" posts

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon, Visiting from A to Z. My husband and I were just talking about researching our own roots here in the national archives in the USA. A friend of his got him interested since he has been actively involved int hat process himself. Fascinating stuff. Hope you find your connections. God bless, Maria from Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria.

      It is a very addictive but enjoyable hobby. Good luck with your research.

      Delete
  2. Where's Q???

    I'm Australian but had never heard of the Ryerson index. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops. I was away for the weekend and it was supposed to automatically post! It is there now :)

      Delete
  3. Years ago I tried ancestry.com but it seemed a little too confusing for me. Also I would have to go in so many directions and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to my grandmother and her mother etc.

    http://www.AMomsPointOfView.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ancestry has improved immensely over the years. I'd suggest giving it another try.

      Delete
  4. Was difficult to read the post because of the font color-- but thanks for taking part in AZ.

    Damyanti @Daily(w)rite Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge
    AZ blogs on Social Media

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please tell me more. It is fine on all the computers in our house. (white text on black/gray background)
      Is anyone else having the same problem?

      Delete